1. Careers

Allena Tapia

"You're So Emotional"

By January 2, 2013

Have you ever heard this, writers? (And, I mean, other than when you were a 13-year-old middle school girl who never had anything to wear and was a wreck nearly every day?)

For me, being an emotional person is not an insult or an affront. I know that, as a writer, I have an innate ability-even a talent-when it comes to accessing my emotions. I believe that this is a necessary characteristic of all writers- even business/copy writers (ie, more than just the poets).

For example, an ad writer needs to be able to understand the drive to procure Product X in order to write about Product X in such a way that the consumer feels the "right" emotion, and, therefore "consumes" the product. A newsletter writer needs to be able to access the right sense of urgency in order to get the reader to take the action warranted. Even a tech spec writer needs to be able to understand emotions such as frustration in order to know how to take a user through steps 1,2, 3 most clearly and most quickly.

Successful writers understand emotions, know how to access theirs and others, and can translate those urges into prose. So, next time you come across an over-emotional teenager, just consider them a future freelance writer!

Comments
January 7, 2013 at 11:01 pm
(1) Martha Roden says:

Alena,

I agree. Emotions are a good thing and being able to communicate them well is a great thing. When people read, they tend to remember things that create an emotional response, no matter how small.

Martha

January 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm
(2) freelancewrite says:

Right. And that emotional response is what your client (if you’re copywriting) pays you for.

January 8, 2013 at 5:42 am
(3) Priyadarshini says:

Yeah, emotion plays an important role in writing. It relates you with the characters and makes your writing more interesting and real.

January 9, 2013 at 12:03 pm
(4) freelancewrite says:

Exactly!

January 8, 2013 at 3:14 pm
(5) Gayle Nowak says:

Well-said Allena. I find that simply relating to a client or an audience is a large part of the battle. No matter how logical we are, humans are ultimately influenced by their emotions. We can be analytical during the decision-making process, but it’s emotion that attracts us, gets us engaged and convinces us to act.

January 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm
(6) freelancewrite says:

I often use real people as my “example.” If my client is selling Facebook cash to 12 year olds, I reference my daughter’s friends in my mind. If my client is selling tshirts to hipsters, I think of someone who has that demographic….

January 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm
(7) Gayle Nowak says:

Right! That’s a great tip Allena. I recently read that when Steven King writes a book, he writes it for a specific person that he knows. When we’re writing for a certain audience, it helps to have a concrete example in your mind so you can see what they look like, hear how they talk, feel their desires (or anquish) and then shape the message. Doing that, takes empathy aka EMOTION.

January 17, 2013 at 11:31 am
(8) freelancewrite says:

Ah, so I’m channeling a master, huh? :) GOOD!

January 22, 2013 at 12:24 pm
(9) Ivan Bradley says:

All writing has a slant and a purpose to hook the reader into going further into what is presented and then to incite the same thing that is where emotions will play because we are emotional creatures with emotional responses we can’t deny it. Yet there is the point of too much and not enough the skill is knowing the middle where it’s just right!

January 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm
(10) freelancewrite says:

Ivan, I’d say that middle of the road is the magic spot for a lot of things, right? Unfortunately, it also seems to be the most difficult.