1. Careers

Allena Tapia

Looking for Suite101 Writers & Opinions

By December 8, 2008

Hi, all. I'm putting a call out for current and former Suite 101 writers.

I get so many questions about the legitimacy of writing for content production companies, but I cannot answer them well, as I simply don't have the time to put together accounts and articles for (what I understand) is unknown, on-spec payment. Since many companies have not made their pay structure public, the research kind of comes to a stand still.

So I'm on the look out for those who are no longer under contract/NDA with various content companies, and also for those who have stayed in it over time and are happy with their experience. I'm particularly interested in money earned versus time spent. I'd also like to know if anyone has ever been turned down- or do they accept all writers? You can remain anonymous if you'd like. Email me at freelancewrite.guide at about.com. Thanks kindly!

Comments
December 10, 2008 at 2:49 pm
(1) Marie Braden says:

You might wanna talk to the Heavy Metal Guide here at About. Chad Bowar got his start with Suite101, IIRC.

December 10, 2008 at 11:19 pm
(2) freelancewrite says:

thanks!

December 11, 2008 at 9:23 am
(3) Anne Wayman says:

You know, it’s so hard to know – over at my site I’ve had at least a couple of writers tell me the $2 and $3 per article jobs have made a huge and positive difference in their lives – I wouldn’t work for that little, at least not now. But pay is truly in the eye of the freelancer.

Anne Wayman
now blogging at http://www.aboutfreelancewriting.com

December 11, 2008 at 9:35 am
(4) freelancewrite says:

thanks, Anne. Yet I tend to think even those writers would do themselves a heap of good putting their time into a short column aimed at a well known blog or learning to write a great pitch letter to a print editor. I mean, if $3 articles are saving their finances, imagine what a 25$ blog post would do!

December 12, 2008 at 8:31 am
(5) Barbara Whitlock says:

How about asking for information from writers at Helium.com? Helium is captivating the freelance writing world — and attracting scores of writers looking for work and added portfolio building options in these tough economic times.

Helium’s payouts to writers continues to rise. Our Helium Freelance Writer Marketplace (http://www.helium.com/marketplace?placement=13060) offers $25 to $200 per article based on contracts with the 100s of magazine, newspaper and web publishers who partner with us to meet writers to match their content needs.

Helium also offers exclusive journalism awards — with some articles earning as much as $125. Since Nov 1 of 2008 we offer upfront payments for informative articles (and we pay at a higher rate as you contribute more quality content, unlike many sites offering short term incentives).

Helium offers empowering opportunities to share an expertise, with new recognition programs that have special earning opportunities as well.

If you’d like more information feel free to contact me!

Barbara Whitlock
Community Development Manager
Helium.com
bwhitlock@helium.com

May 22, 2009 at 3:39 am
(6) JoAnn says:

A recent guest blog post by Tim Beyers sites reasons why freelancers should not write for content aggregators, though he started his career writing for Helium. The key reason being, there are no editors to critique your work and assist you in learning the skills necessary to improve your writing. http://michellerafter.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/freelancers-do-not-write-for-content-aggregators/
I have been writing for Suite101 for 2 months, 10 published articles, $1.37 in accumulated clicks per view. I was told that the amount Google pays per clicks on their ads depends upon the fees paid by the advertisers. Apparently, once you’ve established a readership, the money will improve. Since I’m a newbie to writing, I thought it would provide needed exposure. I’m not so sure now. I have also written articles at ezinearticles.com with the hopes of attracting writing jobs. I maintain a blog as well, writing daily, not with my daily personal content, but with interesting experiences while cooking around the world. I would like to find an editor to critique my articles and blog writing so I can improve my skills.

August 17, 2009 at 3:07 pm
(7) They still haven't fixed my info says:

I wrote for Suite101 years ago. At that time, they decided they wouldn’t be paying writers any longer, so I stopped (they have since changed their method of paying writers). I have been going back and forth with the various editors-in-chief for OVER TWO YEARS to get the incorrect name off MY articles and change the byline to MY name, but somehow they cannot get it together to make this happen. I am amazed at their lack of organization and professionalism.

January 28, 2011 at 3:08 pm
(8) paula marie says:

If you want to write to be heard, not to get rich, write for suite101 (although one of their writers did receive $5,000 in one month). I’ve written 40 articles and have not yet earned even $50.00. My writings tend to be controversial, though, and I’m really just writing to get them out there (whereas these article may not be accepted elsewhere). So for me, so far, it’s been worth it. Suite 101 is open-minded and one does receive some editor feedback. It’s not hard to write such a brief article (of one’s choosing), plus one is only required to write ten articles minimum every quarter of a year. For me, I’ve enjoyed it, but wasn’t looking to get rich; writer’s rarely do.

January 30, 2011 at 10:24 pm
(9) freelancewrite says:

paula, although most of my readers here aren’t looking to get rich, they are mostly looking to make a living. In general, those writers who are seriously looking to pay their bills aren’t interested in Suite101 (that I’ve seen, anyway).

April 18, 2011 at 12:00 am
(10) Mazin Sidahmed says:

Paula, I’ve been scouring the internet for a review an opinion of Suite101 that wasn’t related to how well they pay and finally you’ve given me one. Thank you!

June 28, 2011 at 11:07 am
(11) SeekerJL says:

I have well over 100 articles at Suite101 and for the first year or so they appeared on the site, my PPVs were quite high. Recently Suite underwent big changes, including the PANDA Google makeover – which I know little about, only that it sank Suite to very low traffic numbers for some reason. My PPVs have dropped literally to half what they were before the changes. My payouts for so many articles have been under $20.00 for the past two months, wheras previous to the change I saw payouts between $75.00 and $100.00 a month, consistently (occassionally over $100.00).
While exposure through a reputable site is nice and the apparent quality of the site is nice as well, I do not feel it is right for them to make high income off of authors, when compensation is extremely low. Authors are basically being used to further the site, with little to show for their efforts other than to say “my articles appear on Suite101″. In other words, they are strung-along with hype about prestide becoming better-known as an author, etc…
Not nearly a good enough trade in my opinion and as a result, I no longer submit my articles there.