1. Careers

Allena Tapia

Home Address, Business Address, PO Box?

By October 11, 2010

For your freelance writing address, do you use your home address, business address or a PO Box/equivalent?

Some people cite safety and privacy as a concern when using the home address. I use my home address, it would be relatively easy to find out where I live. In the age/generation of Facebook, I don't have too much concern for that kind of "privacy." I feel quite safe, though, for various reasons that I won't disclose.

For those who rent an office for their freelancing business, this is a no-brainer.

For those who use a PO, I wonder how that works for you? I can't stand any extra errands in my (short) day. I'm not sure I could deal with having to add a trip to the PO to my to-do list.

Let me know your opinion! ~Allena

Comments
October 11, 2010 at 4:01 pm
(1) Carol Tice says:

I don’t put an address anywhere on my Web site and I set my Google Places to just say the general neighborhood I’m in. I guess someone creative could track me down from that, but that left me feeling secure enough.

Once I’m working with a client, I provide my home address. I probably should rent a PO box…good topic to explore! Curious to see what others are doing.

October 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm
(2) Starrpoint says:

I simply have an e-mail address and phone.

90% of my work is over the internet anyway. For a physcial address, I use the gallery I work with.

Since I don’t have my address on my business card, and use the Gallery address for business, that does it for me.

October 11, 2010 at 7:15 pm
(3) Doris Appelbaum says:

I have always used a business address, which is a P. O. Box number. I work strictly by appointment and do not want strangers at my door unless I have invited them. This has never been a problem for me or for my clients.

October 12, 2010 at 5:24 am
(4) Lani says:

We have a post office box into which all our mail comes. That’s new for me. I had thought that having a PO box is a drawback to a business, giving the impression that you don’t have a ‘real’ address. However, we receive mail on a military base; if it came to our home address, mail from the States would cost far more.

October 12, 2010 at 7:57 am
(5) JudyB says:

I use a PO box for everything. The post office is less than a block from my go-to shopping center so it’s rarely an inconvenience. The only mail delivered to the house is junk and misrouted mail. The misrouting was the original reason for the PO box. Some of the junk is good junk.

October 12, 2010 at 9:21 am
(6) RobynH says:

I use my home address on everything. I too find it an extra ‘chore’ to have to go to the post office to get my mail. Although it is true that most of the work is done via the internet, I think it helps my business here in the ‘deep south’ for clients to know that I live locally and have a connection to (and some knowledge of)the area.

October 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(7) Marcy says:

I live in a town where we have no delivery so all of us have P.O. box numbers. I am right across from the PO, so checking/sending mail’s not a problem. I use my email address for 90% business, mostly use email/USmailing services for delivery, and my home phone for contact. It has an answering machine attached so I won’t miss anyone who wants to contact me, (they leave their number for me to call them back), and for screening since I won’t answer any calls that are “unknown”. My business cards contain all three ways to contact me in addition to the same info on my website.
With all my dogs, family and friends in and out of my home, and the area I live in, all is quite safe!

October 19, 2010 at 2:04 am
(8) finishing basement says:

Thanks guys! You people are really professional. The way you have detected causes of the problems, it shows your researches on your works. And the solutions you have given on basement remodeling are the best in my opinion. finishing basement

October 20, 2010 at 11:01 am
(9) Dan Smith says:

I currently use my home address, but the only place it’s ‘advertised’ is on any paper invoices that I send out (which isn’t something I do often, as a lot of my payments are processed online).

I’m in the process of developing the business consultancy side of my work, however and this is likely to see me need a business address of some sort, if not just so I don’t get swamped with business mail at my home address.

When this goes ahead, I’ll probably opt for a PO box, as over here in the UK, for just over 10 ($15) a month, you can have your own PO box and have all mail redirected to your home address, so to save you having to go to the Post Office.