1. Careers

Allena Tapia

Content Mill That Pays $200/article?

By May 6, 2010

Never heard of it 'til today! Apparently CrowdSpring works much like AOL's Seed- higher rates but completely on spec. I just read about it at The WM Freelance Connection. Go check out Carol Tice's post on CrowdSpring.

Comments
May 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm
(1) Feoshia Henderson says:

Hmmm. they pay is much better than usual, but I just don’t see myself writing on spec competing with a 100 writers. I feel my time is way to valuable to write on spec. But I guess people do it. Not my cup of tea.

May 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm
(2) Steve Sears says:

Me neither…

May 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm
(3) Lance Winslow says:

$200 is quite a bit of money for a single article, and yet, I think that $10-15 for an online article is more than fair, writers should be very happy with that. As a high-output article author [20,000 + articles so far], I see the $200 price point as somewhat excessive. Thanks for letting me speak.

May 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm
(4) Susan says:

Lance, you must not have a student loan to pay off, or maybe you live with your parents or roommates and your cost of living isn’t high. Whatever it is for you, $10-$15 an article is an insult to a writer who has spent YEARS honing their craft and going to school, etc. I will not write for that piddly amount, nor would I write on spec … do all the work and pretty much not get paid for it because another writer got the job. Sites like Guru are also a rip off. I paid $150 to be a “member” there for a year and though I bid on many articles, never got a one of them. It’s all insulting to me. If you want to do it, more power to you.

May 10, 2010 at 5:09 pm
(5) dnoble says:

I’d rather work at Wal-Mart than do the research, write and polish a piece for someone unethical enough to jerk writers around with this kind of operation. On spec! Does anyone get chosen?

May 10, 2010 at 5:11 pm
(6) Carol Tice says:

Thanks for the link love, Allena!

Lance shows us a beautiful example of a syndrome so many writers seem to be afflicted with these days…an inability to realize their own value and ignorance of marketplace rates outside of the mill world.

Imagine making the same money writing perhaps one-fifth or one-tenth as many stories in a year…or making five times what you do now! That’s the world of writing for companies and print publications — fewer stories of better quality, and way better pay.

Most of the writers I mentor are not “very happy” to earn $10 for an article…they come to me looking for ways to earn more and get out of the online-article grind.

Sure glad I’m not happy with $10 an article, or I wouldn’t be earning $800-$1000 an article for many of my assignments today! I’m turning in two $800 articles this week, among other assignments. Way happier lifestyle in my book.

Carol

May 10, 2010 at 7:07 pm
(7) Patmc says:

I’m sure the content mills are pleased to hear Lance’s opinion about the value of his writing. The more writers who believe that $10-15 is plenty for an article, the more content mills will flourish. Every time we devalue our labor, time and expertise, we do a disservice to all writers.

May 10, 2010 at 9:24 pm
(8) Pooja says:

I happened to visit them and found that the writing projects were merely a count of 12 in all. Most of the projects were under the category of “Naming the Company” with hundreds of entries stumbling on one another. I was not quite sure if this is a full-fledged “mill” yet because the projects posted are too low in number. Am I missing something? Or is it an overlooked fact?

All in all, not much impressed if that’s all the projects they can offer to lure me.

May 11, 2010 at 7:17 am
(9) Mike says:

Certainly the comments written far out-way the value of a ridiculous job that hides behind a decent financial inducement. The comments talk about the REAL PROBLEMS with writer mills, which are infamously and degrading remuneration in LOW PAY and little buttons or stars, saying you are special, and people willing to accept such pay and false accolades. I am guilty too, but certainly not motivated about money with the mills, but rather the competition.

May 12, 2010 at 5:17 pm
(10) Tina Gallagher says:

Just checked out the site- a LOT like Seed.com. I wasted numerous hours writing for them, only to have my work “evaluated” 2-3 weeks PAST the review date with every single piece rejected.

I looked at assignments offered on CrowdSpring, and saw 320 “entries” for a single article.

I agree with Lance. No, he is NOT devauling his or anyone else’s work.

I have bills to pay NOW- not write something and HOPE someone buys it. The sites that pay lower than $100 or more aren’t slave labor- and they don’t devalue anyone. If a writer is willing to work for that amount, so be it.

I am one of a multitude of writers who are sick to death of snobs looking down on us because we don’t make $250 an article or more. The fact is, most writers don’t.

It doesn’t mean that our writing skills are acking, either. Nor does it mean that we don’t value our work.

I have found the sites I work for (and if I list them here, I’m sure some snobs will sneer and laugh) are honest and wonderful to work for. They pay on time and DO demand quality work.

I have worked for companies and private clients under contract for larger assignments and have wound up fighting tooth and nail to get paid (sometimes) months after my work was accepted.

I have received rejection letters from magazines only to see my work in print- and wound up fighting in court with them trying to get out of paying under the excuse “we didn’t mean to print it.”

I would rather work for honest companies than for crooks. And no, not all magazines or high paying writing assignments are crooked.

Thank you for bringing up the site, Allena- I know you’re out there trying to find more for us. I do have a good feeling you’ll find something that I just know will be a good fit for me.

For the snobs- quit looking down on people- you’ll run into walls.

For everyone else- don’t let snobs run you out of your field- they’re just trying to eliminate the number of writers out there so clients will come crawling to them- or so they like to think.

Don’t give up on your dreams!

May 13, 2010 at 8:35 pm
(11) Petula says:

This sounds promising. I’ve already checked it out. Thanks for the information.