1. Careers

Allena Tapia

Freelance Writing Jobs with the Federal Government

By March 16, 2010

When I heard about a colleague who had recently edited a set of journals for the U.S. Government, I wanted to know how to get in on that kind of  job! It took me three days, but I slowly worked my way through the process of becoming a registered government contractor, and I took notes for fellow freelancers the whole way through. How To Register for Freelance Writing Jobs with the Government tells you how to get through the contractor registration process, too. I now make checking the bid opportunities available a regular part of my search for freelance writing work.

Comments
March 21, 2010 at 12:01 am
(1) John peragine says:

What an awesome article. One note- you cannot start the process over the weekend. The site is only open M-F.

March 22, 2010 at 4:54 pm
(2) Becky says:

If you accept a writing assignment from the federal government and subsequently receive an assignment from a magazine or newspaper that requires covering a federal agency, wouldn’t that be a conflict of interest to accept the second job if you’ve already been a paid contractor of the government?

March 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm
(3) Jim N says:

Unfortunately I work for the bums…so it most definitely would be a conflict of interest. (However, I could always get my wife to be the “owner” and I could be the silent writer/partner. Bwah-hah-ha!

March 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm
(4) Yvonne Battle-Felton says:

Thanks for the step by step instructions. I’m planning to register–or attempt to register today. I am just starting out as a freelancer so I’m not sure I will pay the $150 for them to survey 2-3 clients or not.

I had to find this page again inorder to comment, I’m sure that’s the method to the madness, but I was anxious to comment after I finished reading it (page 7) and couldn’t.

Thanks for posting and good luck

March 23, 2010 at 12:54 pm
(5) Allena says:

Yvonne- there is a method to About.com pages, and I’m sure you’re not the only one who wonders. The article you were reading was just that- an article– freestanding, not interactive, not open for comments. But this here is the front page blog of the same site (it’s always at the front http://www.SUBJECT.about.com, this one being http://www.freelancewrite.about.com). You can comment on blog posts. I also have a forum where you can start a discussion AND I have some articles that ask for your experience at the end.

Great question! And thank you kindly for your visit.

March 24, 2010 at 9:29 am
(6) John Peragine says:

I am working my way through the registration process. You gotta love the government- dupication after duplication. At any rate, one of the things that was missing is the product service codes in the CCR- the ones that matched were T013
2423

March 24, 2010 at 12:55 pm
(7) Glenn Robinson says:

Very interesting article; I intend to make application for a free-lance writing position. Thank you for this information.

March 25, 2010 at 1:08 pm
(8) John Peragine says:

I made it through all the hoops. Now it is time to look for work. Thanks so much for this article.

October 3, 2012 at 8:34 am
(9) Jim says:

It should be noted that to register with the government, the online process requires a $599 non-refundable fee!

That little tidbit of information was not mentioned in the article!

October 5, 2012 at 9:50 am
(10) freelancewrite says:

That’s because it is not correct. Jim. There is no fee for registering at all. Any fees that you may have encountered are likely through third-party companies that offer to “help” you procure gov contracts. I have not used any such companies, so I cannot say if they are worth your $500. I have registered and pursued government contracts through the process described at absolutely no cost to myself. In addition, you may be asked or contacted with an offer for a special service from Dun&Bradstreet in association with your DUNS number, and they sell it pretty good and they may even make it sound/seem like it’s mandatory on the phone. It’s not.

July 12, 2013 at 9:56 am
(11) Dave says:

Thank you for this excellent article! The information is very thorough and easy to understand. My one question – is it worth it? Anyone out there who has done this and can attest to the number/kind of opportunities that this will open up, and the amount of competition for jobs when they come available? (In other words, is it possible/likely to get enough work to recoup one’s costs?)

July 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm
(12) freelancewrite says:

Excellent question, Dave. I included the one friend/example that I knew of. I can see if we can get some bites on others.

January 30, 2014 at 2:20 pm
(13) Gary Reagan LEED AP says:

Hey, I have followed some of the links on your guide for registering to write for the government and either come to a dead end or found a site that wants 800 bucks to take me through the process . What am I doing wrong?

January 31, 2014 at 11:36 am
(14) freelancewrite says:

Gary, I’ll check out the process and refresh it. Keep an eye on this blog for the update. That does not sound correct and I wonder if one of the links is now outdated. Thank you for writing in! I do appreciate that help.